Hopefully you’ve already heard the great news that CPL is unveiling a new library catalogue – we’re hoping you’re as excited about the changes as we are! If you’re not sure why we’re doing this or what to expect, here’s a top ten list of the ways we’re about to make your reading a life a whole lot easier:
- Your catalogue just got smarter! It’s now able to use natural language to figure out what you’re looking for. Throw in phrases like “new kids movies” and it brings back the right stuff, right away.
- You get a username – you get a username – EVERYBODY GETS A USERNAME! When it’s time to log into your library account, you don’t need to dig out your library card and type in that loooong number with all of those zeroes in it. Create a unique username, and use it and your regular library PIN to log in. Your username unlocks all kinds of new features that help you connect with other library lovers around the world, if you wish, without using your full name.
- Easier to see! Look at that big print, that white space, that easy to read font…on your phone, tablet, or screen of any size, it sure is easy on the eyes.
- The Explore dropdown menu opens up all kinds of new ways to dig into the library’s collection. Peruse our newest titles, award winners, best sellers, and featured language collections, and place holds with a click!
- You’ve got the power to add to the catalogue – rate books, make comments on them, add tags, and more. You’ll also be able to see what other library lovers around the globe are saying about titles in the library collections too. It’s a real community of readers like you.
- Keep track of your reading right from within the library catalogue – fill up your virtual ‘shelves’ to track the books, movies, and music that are In Progress, For Later, or Completed.
- You’ve got a dashboard now – your one-stop-shop to see your borrowing information, items on your For Later shelf that are available to borrow right away, recent activity, and more. It’s all of your library life in a glance!
- Check out the main page of the catalogue to see Recent Staff Lists from your librarians. Whether it’s themed lists, hot titles, or recommended reads from a program, you’ll find lots to enjoy from our lists, and it’s quick and easy to place a hold.
- Lists aren’t just for library staff – you can make them too! You can create private lists for your own personal enjoyment, or you can make them public and share your love of dark academia romance thrillers with library users all over the world. You can even follow other library users who have reading interests similar to yours and see what they’re putting on their lists.
- Privacy matters – you can adjust your privacy settings to your own comfort level. Share only what you want to, or nothing at all! The choice is entirely yours.
The new catalogue is in public preview stage right now, and we’d love to know what you think about it! Please go in and kick the tires; you can access the catalogue at https://caledon.bibliocommons.com/ in advance of its launch on December 20. Need some help? Give this tutorial a try or ask a librarian.